Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Owen's First and Hopefully LAST Ambulance Ride

On Monday when I got to daycare to pick up Owen, he was in his Johnny Jumpup and was giggly and smiley. When I took him out to go home, he was acting really sleepy and he felt warm. I took his temp and it was 100.8. He didn't fight me when I put his coat on or when I put him in his car seat, which was unlike him. Since he had been getting teeth, we gave him some Tylenol and put him to bed early. At 2:30, I went in to check on him and his breathing was extremely labored. His poor little chest was working triple time. He was scared and sounded so miserable. We called the triage nurse at the pediatrician's office. When she heard him on the phone, she told us to call 911.

When the paramedics arrived, they decided that he needed to go to the hospital. After giving him a nebulizer, he seemed a little bit better, but it wore off quickly. They gave him some steroids and another neb. The poor thing just layed on us and cried. I felt HORRIBLE! I wished so badly that I could've taken away his pain!!! They diagnosed it as croup (the swelling of the esophagus by the voice box). In the end, they had to give him 4 nebs and for that reason, he couldn't go home. They kept him overnight for observation.

He didn't sleep very well at the hospital, but I think it was just because of the noises and the lights in the hallway. Plus, I was sleeping next to him on a plastic couch, so he heard me every time I moved. He sounded so much better this morning though. He was curious, playful and wanted to touch everything in sight. I only had a few toys/books in my diaper bag, so he got bored really quickly! That was great though compared to how he was acting yesterday.

He got to come home this morning and he wasn't totally himself yet, but he's 100 times better than he was yesterday! Thanks so much for all of your prayers!

No comments: