Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Eye Doctor Follow Up Appointment

On Tuesday, Owen had to go to the eye doctor for a 6 month follow up appointment.  Given that the appointments are about an hour and a half, he does a really good job at them.  I asked how they can tell this early if his vision is poor.  I had glasses at 18 months, but I don't remember much from that point, so I wanted to know more. They shine lights in his eyes and watch how the light reflects off of certain parts of his eye.  Then they do it while holding lenses over his eyes and see how that changes the light's reflection.  In a nutshell, that's how they can tell how his vision is.
Owen is nearsighted and has an astigmatism, which are both common for ex-preemies, but I have both too, so genetics aren't on his side either!  His doctor explained that the longer your eye grows width-wise, the more nearsighted you become.  His eyes hadn't grown much in the last 6 months, so his nearsightedness isn't much worse.  She decided not to prescribe glasses for him now, but she wants to follow up with him every 6 months until he is 4 so we can catch it if it gets worse.

The eye doctor has fun toys in the waiting room and on the wall in the exam room! 
 Peek-a-boo Mama!
Sitting on Daddy's lap, snack in hand, eyes dilated...ready to be DONE!

No comments: