Thursday, December 22, 2011

A Little OCD

Owen has always picked up small threads or pieces of fuzz off the ground and handed them to us for as long as I can remember.  Ronda jokes that most of the time, she can't even tell if something is really there, so she just says thank you and has him help throw them away.  On Tuesday night, Paul was giving Owen a bath and Owen started to scream.  It was a horrible scream like the water was too hot or that he was really, really afraid of something.  I ran upstairs and was shocked at what was wrong!  Owen had worn dark socks that day and the sock fuzz from his toes was floating in the water.  He was pointing at it and screaming and crying hysterically.  Paul fished it out of the water to show him that it was just a fuzzy, but that would not calm him down.  So Paul took him out, drained the tub and tried again.  Owen was not having it!

We thought is was strange, but he'd never done that before, so we just went on with our nightly routine and didn't think too much of it.  I told Ronda about it the next morning.  That night when I picked up Owen, she said she knew exactly what I meant now.  Apparently three little, itty-bitty pieces of broccoli got in his applesauce at lunch and he freaked out, crying hysterically.  This is the kid who dips pomegranate seeds and animal crackers in ketchup!  She tried to get the broccoli out, but he wanted nothing to do with his applesauce anymore.

Last night, I was getting him changed into his jammies and he grabbed a wipe from the box.  He wiped down his crib, his changing table, his mattress, his knee and then leaned against the wall, balanced on one foot and while holding it up in the air, wiped his other foot.

I think he may have a touch of OCD....

No comments: