Fast forward a few months and Father Tony became an even more special part of our lives. The night that Owen was born, my mom called the parish prayer line to ask them to pray for me and our baby. Father Tony heard about the situation and when I awoke in the recovery after my C-section, I saw him standing over me. At first it freaked me out because I thought something bad had happened, but then it calmed me down in a time of fear and anxiety. Over the next several weeks, Father Tony came to the NICU several times to bless and pray over Owen. He even prayed for Owen during intentions one Sunday at mass. It meant to much to us to have his faith and guidance during that time.
As soon as Owen was given the okay to be out in crowds, we started taking him to church. Father Tondy baptized him and even held him (he is afraid he'll drop them, so he doesn't like to hold babies). Every Sunday, Father Tony would talk to him and bless him. They have become quite the buddies! Each week, Owen looks for him and runs over to give him a big hug. One week, the deacon had all of the kids go up on the altar to read a story, so I took Owen up. He was too busy waving at his friend Father Tony to listen to the story!
We offered to host a fondue dinner with Father Tony at our house as a silent auction item at our parish's fundraiser dinner. He told Owen, "I can't wait to come to your house so I can bless your bedroom and your toys!" (Last time he blessed our house, it was just a spare room).
We got a letter in the mail this week that Father Tony has been asked to leave our parish and take on a different one. We are so sad to hear this news. We knew he wouldn't be here forever, but after only 3 years his departure is too soon. So, it is with a heavy heart that we'll say good-bye to our friend, Father Tony on June 10. We feel very lucky that we get to enjoy the fondue dinner with him on June 9.

No comments:
Post a Comment