Wednesday, March 3, 2010

1 Week Old Already!


Now that I've worked through the technical difficulties with the Children's Hospital internet system, I will hopefully be able to post more regularly! Owen has been doing very well. His main issue right now is that after he eats, he refluxes. He doesn't like it, so he holds his breath. That causes his heart rate to drop and his alarm to sound - and mom and dad to panic. He usually self-regulates, but sometimes requires a good rub on the back. He is still on a low-flow oxygen tube, which goes into his nose. Most of the time he is on very little additional oxygen. The tube essentially blows the air into his lungs. The doctors are very pleased with how well he is doing oxygen-wise. Preemies are often times given caffeine to help their brains remember to breathe. Because he holds his breath, the doctors will be keeping him on it for probably another week. They call it his cup o' Joe. I think it's funny since I avoided caffeine while I was pregnant and here he is getting his caffeine buzz.

As of right now, we get to take him out of his little house twice a day for skin-to-skin contact. I can't stand being at home recovering when I know that he is here, so I have been resting here in his room. Since I'm here, I take a morning feeding and get to hold him for an hour while he gets fed through a feeding tube. Then Paul comes after work and takes the 8PM feeding. These times are priceless. It's hard to bond with a baby that you don't get to hold or rock or play with, so we are extremely grateful for "Kangaroo Kare," which is the only reason we get to hold him at all - for the skin-to-skin contact. These are definitely treasured moments!!! There is just nothing like feeling him snuggle in and to be able to give him a kiss and rub his back.

I took this quick picture before they got covered up in blankies so you could see how small he is.

Pre-preemie diapers are as big as my cell phone!


Yesterday afternoon he got to have the IV that ran into his belly button removed. It transferred lipids and saline into his system, but now that he is tolerating more food with each feeding, he doesn't require the additional nutrition. One less cord is a very good thing!

He was under a light for jaundice for about a day and a half. His numbers were looking good, so they've had the light turned off. Today his doctor told us that his numbers are low enough that he gets to ditch the cool shades for good.

A special thank you to our friends and family for everything they've done for us these past few days. The outpouring of support has been overwhelming. We love you guys!!!

We believe in miracles!

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Hey Laurie & Paul! It's great to see some more pictures and to hear that Owen is progressing well. Pretty soon you will have a little screaming boy and will cherish those screams even more, knowing what he (and you) went through to hear them. God bless all of you! Love - Auntie Dawn

P.S. Is that red hair I see?

Jo D. said...

Keep up the good work Owen! If you meet a Lily S. there, tell her I say Hi - she came decided to come early too! (I used to work w/ her mom Cara) Can't wait to meet you! Hunter's taken a picture of you picture so he can look at it when he's playing w/ my cell phone. Hugs from Ellsworth!

Anonymous said...

Hi Laurie & Paul! I feel so overwhelmed for you when I read your story with Owen...I pray that he continues to do so well. I can't imagine the emotions you both are feeling at this time, but it is so nice to see that you are blessed in so many ways with him, as well as the support you are being given by so many loved ones...and of course, that you are able to be there with your precious baby boy. I think it is so awesome for you to be journaling this experience too since it is probably healing in many ways as well as documenting the details you may forget over time. My thoughts are with your famiy often.

Lots of hugs and loving thoughts sent your way!

Stephanie Raleigh (Flasch)

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the pictures. It's amazing how small, but perfect and strong, he is. You all are strong! Jen