Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Happy One Month Owen!

Owen showing off how big he is! Our friend Jenny gave us these stickers to put on his onsie on his "month" birthdays to show just how big he is. This 1 month sticker is a little smaller than a softball.


Owen turns one month old today! He's made so much progress in a month, I can't imagine what he will be like in another month!

He gained weight again yesterday, so he is now just shy of 4 lbs., 5 oz.! He's filling out nicely and is becoming quite the little pork chop! I can't wait until his face fills in a little more so we can tell if he got his daddy's adorable dimples.

He is still struggling with the spells and the reflux. The spells are caused by two things - him reacting to the reflux, and his brain not being fully developed. Preemie brains doen't always remember to breathe. This is why he was on the caffeine originally. They took him off of the caffeine and put him on a caffeine-like medication called aminophylline. After several days, they needed to see if his brain was able to control the breathing function on its own, so they removed him from the aminophylline. At that same time, his reflux got worse, so he was having a lot of spells. Yesterday they determined that he wasn't ready to be off of the aminophylline, so he went back on it. He had significantly fewer spells last night and this morning.

Because the reflux is still giving him trouble, they have his mattress almost vertical! They use something called a Danny sling to Velcro him to the bed or else he wouldn't be able to stay up.

Owen's overnight nurse must have a sense of humor! When I got there this morning, Owen's hat was on his puppy dog. It actually fits the puppy better!


We believe in miracles! Laurie and Paul

8 comments:

The Davis Family said...

Happy Birthday Owen!

Anonymous said...

Happy 1 month birthday Owen! My little guy had to use the same danny sling when he was born too for acid reflux, which helped a lot in addition to reclining the mattress like Owen's. Happy to hear things are still going so well for baby boy!

Stephanie

Jenny Larson said...

Happy Birthday Owen!

Dawn said...

I see you got out the 1 month 'sticker' for his onesie! How cute!! I love the picture of him stretching. One month down, hopefully less than one to go before he gets to spend all of his time spitting up in his own bed at home!

Love ya!
Dawn

Jackie said...

Happy 1 month birthday Owen! I can't believe how big you are getting already!!!

Pammy said...

Good job Owen!! Can't wait until we get to pinch chubby little baby rolls! I hope your tummy starts to feel better soon. Love, Pammy

The Withers Family said...

Happy 1 month birthday, Owen! I bet you both can remember where you were at just one month ago when your lives changed! We are thinking of you and excited for all the "good news"! Much Love from Hutchinson :)

Jen said...

Owen is soooo cute! I wish I could hold him! Give him a birthday kiss from me!